Postcard Art

by - 17:44


L-R: 'Hunger' by Carle Griffiths, 'Nostalgia Pink' by Mandy Lynne, 'Blush' by Valerie Chua
(Photos from Etsy.com)


'A Heart's Dance' by Lavina Marie Verdolaga
A Heart's Dance
Watercolor and ink on cotton rag
14.8 x 21.0 cm

Postcard art has and continues to be one of the more effective means of marketing one's art to prospective buyers. It's a trend that I've always admired (just look at those lovely postcards up there), but I've never seriously considered joining the bandwagon myself... until I began working on this particular ink and watercolor piece: A Heart's Dance.

I find none of my previous paintings worthy of being on a postcard, but for some reason, this particular ink painting breaks the mold; I think it's the Rackham-cum-Goble style that does it, along with the size and texture of the paper I used for it, that makes it seem perfect for a postcard series featuring storybook-like illustrations. 

I know I've had several of these 'great ideas' in the past which never really took off, like my One Thing Challenge and my Flories series, but I'm really liking the idea of creating postcard art. It'll be a fun project to work on for this year, I believe, as each painting will be small and thus easier to finish, but detailed enough to warrant at least a considerable amount of my attention.

I'm not sure yet if I'll sell the postcards; heck, I don't even know how to go about printing them, haha! My friend Kai Jimenez and I have yet to scour the streets of Manila for a good printer; we've decided to team up for this postcard project - my paintings and her photographs (check out her beautifully introspective work here) - to fulfill one of our mutual personal aspirations. So, if you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear them!

You May Also Like

0 comments